Have you put much consideration into your driveway?
Your driveway is among the first impressions others get of your property. Choosing the right surface material for your driveway is imperative – not only for the aesthetic result of your home or commercial premises, but also for its safety, functionality, and longevity.
A bitumen driveway can be a great option for you that is attractive, durable, and cost-efficient.
Types of Driveway Surface Material
There is a wide array of options when it comes to selecting your driveway’s surface material. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks; the key is to identify and select the driveway solution that works best for your property, its use, and your budget.
- Gravel – this is an affordable option, especially for a long driveway, but it requires very high levels of maintenance on an ongoing basis. Weather extremes may be very detrimental to this type of driveway.
- Concrete – a versatile and more affordable option that can be smooth or textured, it is strong and durable, easy to maintain, and generally long-lasting, although it can be prone to cracking over time. Concrete may be stencilled, stained, or dyed to achieve different looks.
- Bitumen/Asphalt – this is a great alternative to concrete and is ideally suited to large or rural driveways or those that experience heavy use – which is why it’s the preferred material in most open-air carparks. It is more affordable than concrete, takes less time to cure (so is ready for use sooner), and is very durable. It may require a spray seal after several years, and it will retain more heat than concrete, which may be a consideration for some applications during summer.
- Pavers – deliver a sophisticated look and better drainage than concrete or aggregate. Pavers are easy to replace in sections if required, but they are a much more expensive driveway option. A paved driveway requires ongoing maintenance, and weeding between the pavers will likely be regularly needed. Paver options include clay brick pavers and bluestone pavers.
- Exposed Aggregate/Pebblecrete – a type of concrete finish whereby the uppermost thin layer of cement is removed to expose shells, stones, pebbles and sand near the surface. The result is a smooth, fixed, gravelly surface displaying the textures and colours of the aggregates. It can look effective, though can be quite dated, is quite durable and resistant to skids, and does not require a lot of maintenance, though it must be resealed every few years to maintain its integrity and appearance.
- Timber Sleepers – an eco-friendly option when recycled timber is used, timber sleepers deliver a rustic look and can be very effectively used to line a gravel driveway. They can be expensive, however, and do require ongoing maintenance, including regular seasonal mould treatment.
Asphalt vs Bitumen Driveway – Which is the Best?
A bitumen driveway is a fantastic solution that delivers on all counts.
The bitumen is a component of asphalt and may comprise a layer that is sprayed over the asphalt driveway to seal the surface. So, should you select a bitumen driveway or an asphalt driveway?
The construction of your driveway is about more than just how it looks. It must be both functional and budget-friendly. When installed by the right professionals, your bitumen or asphalt driveway will be easy to maintain, withstand weather extremes, help protect the integrity of your vehicles, and eliminate the issues that can arise from dust, mud, and erosion. It also takes all the hard work out of maintaining a dirt or gravel driveway and eliminates concerns regarding staining which can arise with a concrete or paved driveway.
- Bitumen has a lifespan of at least 5-10 years; asphalt’s lifespan exceeds 20 years.
- Bitumen is less expensive than asphalt.
- Asphalt delivers a smooth surface, while bitumen is coarser with a grainy finish.
- Asphalt is up to twice as thick as bitumen, which has a thickness of 10-20mm.
- Asphalt is a quieter surface, as bitumen experiences small stones being tracked by tyres.
Why select a bitumen driveway?
- Bitumen is very affordable
- Suits an array of property styles, from rustic to modern to industrial
- Ideal for large areas and long driveways
- Good traction and skid-resistance
- Lasts 10 years, and possibly up to 20 years or even more depending on use.
- Absorbs and hides spills and other pollutants
- Easy to repair if necessary
Call Allroad Surfaces for a Quote
Allroad Surfaces is a leading asphalt paving contractor, working on the Sunshine Coast since 1996. We work with customers throughout the Sunshine Coast, including Noosa, Peregian, Gympie, and Caloundra. Our driveway specialty is the design and creation of larger-scale driveways for rural and acreage properties and strata developments.
We have the experience and expertise to create, upgrade, and resurface your bitumen driveway so it looks great and lasts many years!
Call us today on 07 5471 0011 or email us at [email protected] for a 90-day obligation-free quote.
Alternatively, you can Contact Us Here online today to learn more and discover how we can help you. We look forward to giving your driveway, whether it’s residential or commercial, a new lease on life!